Google Search Algorithm Updates: November 2023 Reviews Update
Google, being the leading search engine worldwide, constantly updates its search algorithm to improve user experience and provide more accurate search results. These google algorithm update also have a significant impact on website rankings and online marketing strategies.
Google recently released its latest Reviews Update which started on November 8, 2023. These kinds of updates usually take one to two weeks to complete. This is the year’s third and, most likely, the final Reviews Update that Google will likely confirm.
The goal of this Google Reviews Update is to make review content that users find through search searches more legitimate and relevant. It rewards genuine, useful, and informative reviews while penalizing false or poor ones.
Let’s explore and understand better this latest Google Reviews Update and also discuss some of the best practices for high-quality reviews shared by Google for website owners and digital marketers.
So let’s jump in!
Understanding Google Algorithm Updates
Google Algorithm updates are changes made to the search engine’s ranking factors and criteria, allowing it to provide more relevant and credible search results. These updates aim to ensure that websites with high-quality content rank higher, while those employing black-hat SEO techniques suffer a decline in rankings or even penalties.
Google only made a few algorithmic changes in its early years. But now to provide the best user experience, Google regularly makes thousands of updates every year.
The majority of these changes are so minute as to be entirely overlooked. But occasionally, Google releases big algorithmic updates that have a considerable impact on the SERPs.
When Google makes such significant, broad changes to its search algorithms and systems, it refers to these as core updates. It usually gives notice publicly when such core updates take place.
Overview Of The November 2023 Reviews Update
Google revealed that the November 2023 Reviews Update seeks to improve the evaluation and presentation of reviews in search results.
The reviews ranking mechanism is intended to assess articles, blog posts, and other stand-alone content that focuses on opinions and analysis, according to Google’s documentation. Third-party reviews, such as those posted by users on product or service pages, are not evaluated by it.
Almost all of a website’s content will be assessed by the algorithm when reviews make up most of the content. We will assess websites without reviews at the page level instead of the website level.
This Reviews Update is overlapping with Google’s latest core search algorithm update, which is also rolling out. Thus, throughout the course of the following few weeks, many websites may experience fluctuations in search traffic and ranking as a result of the combined effect.
Furthermore, Google also stated that they’ll no longer be issuing periodic alerts or notifications of changes to their reviews system, because they will be happening at a regular and continuous pace.
This indicates that the Reviews Update is now a more real-time update. Waiting for Google to release a new update of the system could reflect updates to your website in this reviews system more slowly than making direct updates.
This global update will affect the following languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, and Polish.
What About The “Product Reviews Update”?
As of the April 2023 reviews update, Google started calling them the reviews update instead of the product reviews update.
This expansion of the Reviews Update built upon Google’s previous Product Reviews Update by evaluating reviews on various subjects that are open to review, including businesses, services, destinations, and media (such as games and movies).
What Does Google Consider A High-Quality Review?
Below are some best practices that Google has shared previously for high-quality reviews.
- Evaluate from the perspective or viewpoint of the user.
- Show that you are an expert in the field you are reviewing by demonstrating your knowledge and understanding of it.
- To demonstrate your knowledge, and expertise and bolster the authenticity of your review, include proof in the form of visuals, audio, or other links from your own experience with the subject matter you are reviewing.
- Provide quantitative information or measurements regarding how something performs in relation to different performance criteria.
- Differentiate something from its competitors by describing what makes it unique.
- Discuss comparable factors to consider, or explain which might be most appropriate for certain situations.
- Talk about the advantages and disadvantages of a certain topic based on your own research.
- Explain how a product has changed from earlier iterations or models to address problems, add enhancements, or assist customers in choosing a product.
- Based on your knowledge or experience, concentrate on the most crucial decision-making factors.
- Describe the key design choices of a product and how they impact users, beyond the manufacturer’s claims.
- Provide readers with links to further useful resources (from your website or other websites) to aid in decision-making.
- To give readers the option to purchase from their preferred merchant, consider including links to multiple sellers.
- When recommending anything as the best overall or the best for a particular purpose, be sure to provide firsthand evidence to support your claims.
The Final Say
Google Algorithm updates like the November 2023 Review Update play a critical role in shaping the online landscape and ensuring that users find the most relevant and high-quality content.
Due to this update, website traffic that depends on reviews may fluctuate. Content may rank higher or lower based on how well it fits Google’s evolving review system. You should use Google’s quality rater guidelines to audit your review content. Improve thin or low-value reviews as your top concern.
Overall, this change will give sites that are losing ground a chance. While attempting to enhance the review content, you can also switch to Google Ads to make up for lost visitors.
Need expert support to make your website stay on top? Get in touch now!